Difference Engine is impossibly excited to announce their first comics anthology featuring writers and illustrators who are unabashedly and proudly Southeast Asian.
Sound: A Comics Anthology will tell stories set in the past, present, and future, from intimate personal narratives, to epic mythological tales, to insightful political observations. We can’t wait for readers to see what our homegrown talent is capable of. Some names are familiar to us, a few we know personally, but many others we are discovering here for the very first time. We are astonished by the mad skills out there. We can’t wait to read the finished comics.
The guest editors, Charis Loke and Budjette Tan are working with the creators and creative teams right now. Charis and Budjette have been so generous with their insight and encouragement, but also frank and concise with their critique. We couldn’t hope for a better editorial team.
When we first put out the call for submissions, we did not know what to expect. However, we eventually received an incredible 103 entries in total (nearly half of which came in just minutes before the deadline!). We are so grateful to everyone who shared and contributed to spreading the word, as well as all the creators who submitted their pitches. You guys are awesome and we know you will be as excited as we were to see the final selected entries!
Here is the line up of the final stories and teams that will be featured in the anthology:
- A Call (Nadhir Nor)
- Blabber (Bonni Rambatan)
- Bonus Points (Benjamin Chee)
- Folk (Paolo Chikiamco & Borg Sinaban)
- Hokkien for Beginners (Nicolette Lee)
- ON / OFF (Xie Shi Min, Xiao Yan, & Richard Phua)
- Out of Sight (Wong Jingwei & Soefara Jafney)
- Road Trip Radio (Cathlyn Vania)
- Signals (Farid Nad)
- Softly, Sayang (Sharon Bong & Leong Yi Zhen)
- The Calling (Amahl Azwar & Nadiyah Rizki)
- The Cat Who Barks (Bryan Arfiandy)
- Voices and Votes (Rafael Romeo Magat & Ruth Chris De Vera)
Sound: A Comics Anthology will be published in November 2020 and we will be launching with a bang. Listen up for it!